Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    Back when ML got into 5.1 HT, I auditioned it in an optimized room for the movie Braveheart using what looked like a $100+ k worth of electronics and in its own way sounded about as bad overall to some of us as a junk HTiB system. Ditto multi-channel music unless a phantom CC was used. Stereo OTOH was incredible if you prefer the diaphanous type of mids, HF that seems to just hang in the air. Great for string instruments, female voices, but not so much for male voices, horns, percussion, etc..

    The video though was better than any I'd seen in a theater up to that point, with SOTA piggybacked Runco front projectors, each coupled to a Faroudja line doubler.

    Oh well, that was many years ago, so maybe by now they've figured out how to make a horizontally high aspect ratio dipole CC work with a bunch of vertically oriented ones for the other channels, though I don't see how its diffuse sound 'cloud' presentation could be digitally altered enough for me.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - 000 (West Liberty, KY)


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    I think running a small movie theater these days is a hobby. Hobbies usually cost money not make it.

    I'd love to do it. Along with a zillion other things.

    I did manage to qualify in a T33 before my health went south. Doubt I could pass the medical now,they don't let old geezers fly jet warbirds. Cost me 5 grand back then and worth every cent.


    Awesome feeling controlling the equivalent of thousands of horsepower. I can see why guys volunteered for fighters despite the danger.

    Only land bound thing I could compare to is maybe driving a AA fueler, but no way that's gonna happen. But I can dream still.

    Top Fuel 260 MPH Club

    I can't complain, I've done a lot. But it's human to want more...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    The never ending pursuit of the "fully clothed" thrill.

    How about a tower climb?

    Tower Climbers working - YouTube

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - 000 (West Liberty, KY)


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    Bowtie, I could have a heart attack just watching the video!
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Bowtie, I could have a heart attack just watching the video!
    I'd be lying if i didn't tell ya that watching it gives me a bit of uncomfortable anxiety myself. I'm not a big fan of heights, and that free climbing at 1700 feet is just nuts. Way too much time to think on the way down in the event of a terminal mistake.

  6. #16
    HB Super Moderator
    Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - 000 (West Liberty, KY)


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    It wouldn't be me !! I think I would develop Vertigo real quick at those heights.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    I know for a fact that my knees lock up at 20 feet height and I can't walk a straight line, and that was a long time ago.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - 000 (West Liberty, KY)


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    I got a message asking what a T33 was. One pic is worth a thousand words, more at the link.

    ServeImageaspx?img91402384&amplistingPubCNT&ampnMaxW565&ampnMaxH424

    LOCKHEED T33 Turbine Military Aircraft For Sale At Controller.com
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    Man, Old Guy, all I can say is WOW! That must be a wild ride. I remember driving across the Southwest US somewhere (30 years ago?), at the top of some mountain in the middle of nowhere; Utah, Nevada…? I came across a bunch of cars parked off of the road and everyone standing around looking out over the desert valley below, so being the curious guy I am, I too pulled over, got out and looked over the cliff. In the valley below, was an A-10 Warthog flanked by a T-33 doing ground attack training. They were about 100 feet apart, and both would suddenly go from level flight to almost straight down towards the desert floor, and you would see a burst from the A-10’s Gatling gun and a few seconds later a cloud of dust rising from a giant plywood target surrounded by a giant orange circle with an X across it on the desert floor. They would stay in formation, swing around and do it again and again, a few times with a round of missiles for good measure. That Warthog pilot never missed. It must have been kind of close to Area 51?

    I built a guy’s house who was a stunt pilot, and at the end of the job, offered to give me a ride in his dad’s spruce and doped silk high performance bi-plane. I said, “thanks, but no thanks.” ( I helped him hang the wings which only weighed about 100 pounds each and attached with only a handfull of flimsy 3/8" bolts) but I think that I should take him up and have him give my son’s a ride 25 years later, IF their wives will let them.

    Sorry, too much Rum again...
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; February 24th, 2012 at 12:27 AM.

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - 000 (West Liberty, KY)


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Own your own MOVIE THEATER! - $27000 (West Liberty, KY)

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    Sorry, too much Rum again...
    Been there, done that.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.